What is my skin type?
Different skin types key to improve skin health
Making the right choices about your skin care starts with knowing your skin type.
Different skin types are genetically determined but choosing the best skin care for your face and body is essential to care for your skin's health, slow the ageing process and look after yourself!
What is my skin type?
There are five common skin types: normal, oily, dry, combination and sensitive. Blotting a clean tissue on your face in the morning is an easy way to find out your skin type.
- A normal skin type has good circulation and there will not be any trace of sebum (or oil) on the tissue. Normal skin is soft, with a smooth, even skin tone.
- An oily skin type will leave blots of facial oil on the tissue, particularly from the cheeks, nose and forehead. This type of skin has overactive sebaceous glands, producing more oil than necessary. Oily skin can be caused by hereditary factors, diet, hormone levels, pregnancy, unsuitable cosmetics and stress, leading to acne flare ups and enlarged pores. It is vital to thoroughly clean the skin regularly with gentle, soap-free cleansers.
- A dry skin type has a low level of sebum and does not maintain oil easily. Dry skin is often flaky and feels tight after being wiped. Gentle cleansing and a rich protective moisturiser for dry skin is essential to control that tight, uncomfortable feeling. It may be necessary to adjust your dry skin moisturiser for the changing seasons.
- With a combination skin type oil is produced around the 'T-zone' of the nose and forehead but not on the cheeks, mouth and eye areas. The best skin care for combination skin will involve treating each region differently.
- Having a sensitive skin type can mean different things to different people. It can be caused by skin conditions such as rosacea, eczema or allergies. Sensitive skin can become inflamed and irritated easily. It is important to choose the right skin care for sensitive skin because many cleansers and moisturisers contain ingredients that can cause an adverse reaction.
The skin care experts at E45 have developed skin care products for people with different skin types. Take a look now and find the best everyday skin care products for your skin type!